Details are still spare, but someone on Imdb posted something about the panel:
- I was there. The message or vibe I took away from it was that Laura Dern is probably more ready to restart the series than Mike White. In fact, it became pretty evident that Mike White doesn't feel like he could sustain or re-engage with the high level of intensity that running a show requires. I guess the closest analogy that I could draw is someone who has a fear of heights and has just come back from sky-diving. It was thrilling and scary at the time, overcoming huge obstacles and it was a huge accomplishment, but ask him if he's ready to go back up and do it all over again. Probably not.
- It was interesting to hear how the producers ended up with such a formidable line-up of directors. Especially after Seasons 1 and 2, directors were approaching THEM. Mike White credited Laura Dern for drawing them in. She revealed that Alexander Payne and Spike Jonze had both spoken to her about directing episodes if there was a third season, and that every time she runs into HBO execs, she happily relays the latest directors who will never be working for HBO because they canceled her show.
- She used the words "super" and "amazing" a lot, sometimes together, and it just made me smile because one could see how much of her enthusiasm was channeled into Amy.
- We didn't hear much from either Timm Sharp or Sarah Burns, but both received a big round of applause when they were introduced, or whenever Krista or Dougie's names were mentioned. Timm Sharp did reveal that after he lost out on the part to Mos Def, he cut his hair which he'd grown out for his audition. And when Mos Def pulled out, Mike White called Sharp, hoping he hadn't cut his hair because now he was going to be Dougie. So for the first season, Sharp had to wear extensions and wigs to simulate the hair he'd auditioned with. Season 2 was his own hair.
- As far as Season 3, Mike White mentioned a plot point that I hadn't heard him discuss before, and that was the notion of shifting alliances. His "for instance" was that Tyler would turn on Amy because his loyalty to Eileen.
- Hope that clarifies what went on. No major announcements.